Wednesday, January 13, 2010

WWIIssical Inspiration

So, one of my major ideas has been a revamp of Seussical!, the Dr. Seuss musical. We performed it at my school just this past fall, and during practice one day, inspiration struck. They were singing the song "Here on Who", which talks about the Whos' lives. It goes:

WE'RE WHOS HERE
WE ARE WHOS HERE
STRUGGLING TO STAY ALIVE
EACH GUST
PROPELS OUR DUST
OH, HOW THE HECK DO WHOS SURVIVE?

So, I was listening to the cast as they were practicing. They weren't exactly "fantastic", so they had to go over the song quite a bit. As I heard the song over and over and OVER and OVER, my mind started mixing up the song and (somehow) my head changed the word Whos.

To Jews.

Don't ask me how, or why, but it just did. As this entered my mind, I had two thoughts: "Why would I think 'Jews'?" and more importantly, "How could I change the song to fit that?"

And then, it came to me. The Jews are struggling to stay alive... because of the NAZIS!! It's so simple! How could nobody have never thought of that before?!

So, with this in mind, I rewrote the ENTIRE song "Here on Who", as well as "Alone in the Universe" (into "Alone in my Racist Thoughts") and "It's Possible", a song about imagination (into "He's Possible, about who might be Jewish). My friends have caught me singing them, and think they're hilarious.

At the moment, I'm taking a short break from "WWIIssical". While I definitely want to develop it fully, I'm trying to focus on other plays right now. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment